On 31 October 2018, HSE published the all industry annual health and safety statistics for workplaces. Here we take a look at the key figures.
The statistics are compiled using the Labour Force Survey (LFS), and other sources, and cover everything from ill health that is work-related, injuries in the workplace, lost working days and more.
It’s clear to see from the annual health and safety statistics that even though Britain remains one of the safest places to work, there are too many people being made ill or getting injured by their work.
Key figures for Great Britain show that in 2017/18 there were:
- 144 fatal injuries at work
- 1.4 million working people suffering from a work-related illness
- 555,000 working people suffering from non-fatal injuries
- 30.7 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
- 493 cases prosecuted and resulted in a conviction. Fines from convictions totalled £72.6 million
- Workplace injury and new cases of ill health cost Britain £15 billion a year with 30.7 million working days lost
This is why it’s important to ensure that all your staff are up to date with the latest health and safety training. To find out more about our range of health and safety training, events and retained services, please contact our team on 01924 261 789.