The Effects of Hazardous Substances include;
- Skin irritation or dermatitis as a result of skin contact;
- Asthma as a result of developing allergy to substances used at work;
- Losing consciousness as a result of being overcome by toxic fumes;
- Cancer, which may appear long after the exposure to the chemical that caused it;
- Infection from bacteria and other micro-organisms (biological agents).
A COSHH Assessment is carried out for the purpose of identifying the risks posed by any potentially hazardous substance you intend to use in the course of your business. It also determines what control measures you need to put in place whilst using, handling, storing or transporting the particular substance.
The COSHH assessment take into account the accident and emergency procedures, the accidental release measure as well as how the substance should eventually be disposed of. If it is a particularly hazardous chemical which appears on the Governments EH40 list it will also inform you of the Workplace Exposure Limits of its individual constituents. Many substances like household bleach, paints and varnishes are relatively harmless if used correctly and the COSHH assessment is relatively straight forward where as some other substances such as some solvents carry a high risk and the COSHH Assessment process is a difficult and time consuming activity. Whatever the task or substance OJ Health and Safety Solutions Limited can assist you with the process. We have a wealth of knowledge and experience of carrying out COSHH Assessments on a wide range of high-risk substances.